Guest Post: Top 10 Things in Romance Publishing That Surprised Me by Sara Humphreys
Becoming a published author has been a total dream come true. I never in a million years thought that I’d be working on my first book series, let alone my third! When I started this journey, I didn’t know much about the publishing industry as a whole and I knew even less about the romance publishing industry. To be very honest, until I tried to get my first book published I didn’t know there was much of a difference.
I’m not proud of it but it’s the truth.
So here are the Top 10 things that surprised me the most about the romance writing/publishing industry.
1. Romance writers are a phenomenally supportive group of individuals on both a personal and professional level. This was a pleasant surprise because in my experience not all creative industries have that kind of support. (Acting for example.) This friendly atmosphere is fostered beautifully through RWA. What a great organization!
2. RWA (Romance Writers of America) is not just for published authors. In fact, it’s probably even more important for aspiring authors to join RWA. I wish I’d known that sooner! If you’re an aspiring writer and haven’t joined yet…get over there and do it now. www.rwanational.org
3. Most authors do not make a lot of money. I thought that when someone said they had a three book deal that meant they were rolling in dough but I’ve learned that’s not always the case.
4. The books you see on end-caps or with priority placement in the bookstores are there because the publishers make specific arrangements to have them there. It’s not an accident that you see certain books as soon as you walk into the store.
5. I’m terrible with comma placement. (Okay. I know it’s not specific to the romance industry but it’s still something that I found out on the journey.)
6. Men read romance novels. Straight men. Gay men. All kinds of men read romance and some of them aren’t afraid to admit it. The truth is that these guys are smart. Reading romance novels gives them an inside look at what women want.
7. Having a good editor who can communicate clearly and honestly is priceless! Blowing sunshine up my butt isn’t going to make a book any better and a good editor will give you both positive and constructive feedback.
8. The cover models on the books are real people and they are just as hot in person….sometimes hotter.
9. There are agents and publishers who deal solely with romance novels/authors and nothing else.
10. Romance readers are the most devoted and voracious readers out there. They will devour novels the way some people decimate a bag of Halloween candy but our readers are never full! There’s always room for more. More books. More authors. More tales of love and seduction. Romance readers and my fellow authors are my kindred spirits. My sisters from another mister. We all adore a Happily Ever After and no matter what kind of heartbreak we may suffer…our belief in true love never waivers.
Question for readers – what are some of the new authors you’ve recently bought & read & loved & adored?
Giveaway: 3 copies of Untamed. US and Canada only!!WINNERS:
congrats – the author will be in contact – thanks all for blogging with us!
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Sara Humphreys has been attracted to the fantasies of science fiction, paranormal, and romance since her adolescence when she had a mad crush on Captain Kirk. An actress and public speaker, Sara lives in Bronxville, NY, with her husband, who is very considerate of her double life, and four amazing boys.
UNTAMED BY SARA HUMPHREYS – IN STORES NOVEMBER 2012
An ancient race of shapeshifters has lived secretly among humans for thousands of years…they are…the Amoveo
HER WORST NIGHTMARE IS COMING TRUE…
Layla Nickelsen has spent years hiding from her Amoveo mate and guarding a devastating secret. But Layla’s worst fear is realized when the man who haunts her dreams shows up in person …
HE HAS FINALLY FOUND HER…
William Fleury is as stoic as they come, until he finds Layla and his feelings overwhelm him. She won’t let him get close, but then an unknown enemy erupts in violence and threatens everything Layla holds dear…
Praise for the Amoveo Legend series:
“Compelling… Deft world-building and sensuous love scenes make this paranormal romantic thriller an enjoyable journey.” —Publishers Weekly
“The characters haunted my dreams…I thought about this book constantly.” —Long and Short Reviews
“I loved the book. I’m looking forwards to many more in this series.” —Night Owl Reviews, Reviewer Top Pick
“Fast-paced paranormal romance with fantastic world-building.” —The Book Girl