Recipe of the Week: Gluten Free Pumpkin Quinoa Breakfast
This week’s featured recipe is a great way to make breakfast a little more exciting, and to add important nutrients without gluten.
Another G-free recipe from Elisabeth Hasselbeck, this pumpkin nut quinoa breakfast adds creative flair to the staple breakfast porridge. Whether it’s an on-the-go snack on a weekday morning, or a weekend brunch at home, this flavor-filled meal will be the perfect start to your day.
Gluten Free Pumpkin Quinoa Breakfast
Quinoa flakes deliver a creamy, satisfying breakfast porridge. Dress your bowl up with a swirl of vitamin-rich canned pumpkin, an ideal option for cool autumn mornings. Try cooking the quinoa in milk as well – this sweetens it and adds extra nutrition like vitamin D, calcium, and protein.
¼ cup granulated sugar
½ teaspoon gluten-free ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon cornstarch
Pinch of salt
¼ teaspoon ground cloves
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 egg white
¼ teaspoon gluten-free vanilla extract
1 cup pecan halves
3 ½ cups water
1 ⅓ cups quinoa flakes
1 cup canned pumpkin
¼ cup half and half
¼ cup gluten-free light brown sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 300ºF. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Place the sugar, cinnamon, cornstarch, salt, ground cloves, and ground nutmeg in a plastic bag, seal the bag, and shake to mix.
3. Put the egg white and vanilla in a bowl, and beat until slightly foamy. Add the pecans and stir to coat them well. Using a slotted spoon, lift the pecans out of the bowl and transfer them to the bag of sugar and spices. Shake, making sure the pecans are well coated with the seasoning. Spread the pecans out on the prepared baking sheet, and bake for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and let them cool on the baking sheet.
4. Meanwhile, place the water in a large saucepan and bring to a boil. Add the quinoa flakes and reduce the heat to medium. Cook for 10 to 15 minutes, until the liquid has decreased by half and the mixture is thick.
5. Combine the pumpkin and the half-and-half in a small bowl, and whisk until smooth. Swirl the pumpkin into the quinoa, and sprinkle with brown sugar. Divide among four bowls, sprinkle with chopped nuts, and serve immediately.
Download this recipe for free here.
We hope you enjoy it!